Recipe for a real small business server that will provide basic file and printer services for up to ten workstations.
- Obtain hardware by repurposing a relatively up-to-date workstation or buy an inexpensive server from Dell or HP (or a refurbished small server).
- Install standard copy of Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Create a Data folder Share it.
- Install printer(s) Share it/them.
- At each workstation, map a drive letter to the shared folder.
MAP G: \\server\data
- At each workstation go into the printers folder, select “Add new printer” and select the server printer.
Don’t use this machine as a workstation. Put it off in a corner somewhere.
Replace in two years.