Questions of the week:
- Is it just a coincidence that this week there was a formal introduction of the MIT 100 dollar laptop and Google stock broke $400 per share?
- Does this mean that eventually we will get a check along with our computer when we order one from Dell? This isn’t entirely far-fetched, American car companies have been giving cash rebates to buyers for years. Something I never understood…why don’t they just lower the cost in the first place? Instead they try to maintain the fiction that a Buick Lacrosse, with a list price of $28,990 is actually going to be sold for $28,990.
Now these cautionary questions reinforce my conviction that it has always been better to be in the software business than the hardware business. Which, of course, leads to more questions:
- Why didn’t I buy Google when it was at $85?
- at $315?
- Should I buy now at $405?
- Will the stock split?
- Why am I doing hardware development?
- Am I doomed?