Sometimes you just have a week where you are grinding away at things, and nothing particularly new or spectacular happens, and no new revelations are on the horizon. This was one of those weeks.
MailClark and Slack
The MailClark experiment is moving into its third week. As I hoped, it appears to be working well as an application for low-volume email customer support. In another couple of weeks, I will introduce this to the rest of the customer support team, so that more than one of us can respond to emails and questions sent in to our help address.
Our FileMaker CRM is taking shape. I have built the basic tables, and am working on the data entry screens. I’ve hosted it on a new Mac Mini with an SSD drive using FileMaker Server. This is the first time I’ve ever used an SSD up close and personal (all Linodes are SSD based), and I’m impressed with the speed.
FileMaker has been steadily improving the web client of the application called WebDirect. This is an effective implementation of the regular FileMaker desktop interface, but rendered in HTML5 and CSS for a web browser, which eliminates the need to install the FileMaker software client on your desktop workstation. My thought is that we will provide access to the CRM via a virtual private networking connection rather than allowing direct access through our firewall.
Similar to FileMaker Go, the FileMaker client that runs on iPhones and iPads, I expect to build dedicated data entry screens for the web clients. This means that each platform gets its own screens….desktop, iDevice, and web. The startup script for the application will contain a CASE statement which determines which platform you are connecting with, and point you to the correct screen.
So far the data design and use cases appear to be pretty accurate and for the most part remain unchanged. One thing I have done is add a “reference” section. This will provide a front-end for the National Center for Educational Statistics database of public and private schools.
WordPress and Apache
I spent a couple days faffing about with my Apache / WordPress installation, trying to figure out what what slowing down our blog. It turns out to be hidden in plain sight, and here is one explanation.